Hardy, James L.
The House the Hardy Brothers Built
Flyfisher's Classic Library
(Description) Limited Edition #225 of 950 copies bound in full black leather with gilt title and highlights and silk marker ribbon. Housed in matching cloth-covered slipcase. ***(Synopsis) The author is the last family member to work for Hardys. Since his retirement in 1992, Jim Hardy has been compiling this engrossing history of the firm. Making full use of extensive family archives, he describes and illustrates the evolution of Hardys from the early days in Alnwick after the two pioneering brothers, William and John James, set up their business in 1872. From their beginnings as tackle dealers in products made to order by outside manufacturers, the Hardys gradually developed production in their own factory where their workforce was trained and supervised with the utmost rigour and where the highest standards of workmanship were expected. Their reputation took a leap forward with the invention of the Perfect fly reel, much superior to any rival product when it first appeared at the end of the 19th century and destined to remain a top-selling Hardy range for fifty years. The Perfect reel was followed by many other models including the Silex, the best bait-casting reel of its time and another classic Hardy product which was used by anglers all over the world.